top of page

History of the Church

AME church_1_edited.jpg
20200826131102_001 Photo by J.K. Graham - Edited - Edited.jpg

Photo taken, estimated in the 1930's
Note: The chimney steeple is cut down in half.

Unknown Date of Photo of the Wayman Chapel AME Church. Possibly around the 1920's. This is considered the oldest photo of the church. Note: The full chimney steeple

The Wayman Chapel African American Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church in its prime has been the center of Fort Scott’s black community as the first and oldest Black Church in Fort Scott, established in 1866. Between 1866 and 1884, the church was located at two different locations. In 1885, the AME church occupied a new brick church building on the southeast corner of Third and Lowman Streets and had a viable congregation. The church had been at this same location at 301 South Lowman for over 115 years.

 

However, the Church had a reduction in members throughout the years and was eventually condemned due to unsafe conditions, and was torn down. and was torn down in the early 2000’s. The largest congregation was believed to have been in 1888. The Fort Scott City Directory of that year indicates that the Church membership was 260 and the Sunday school membership was 100 individuals. The Shiloh Baptist was the second oldest.

 

The entrance of the church was on the corner of 3rd and Lowman, and the pulpit and choir seats were located toward the direct east end of the church. 

This was the actual church that internationally known photographer, filmmaker, writer and musician Gordon Parks and his family attended. Gordon also used this church as one the scenes in The Learning Tree Film-directed by Parks.

 

In this scene, the Winger family attends the African American Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church; Newt first sees Arcella Jefferson and immediately develops an interest in her. Arcella’s entire family is welcomed with opened arms as newcomers to the community by Pastor Broadnap. Toward the end of the scene, Newt’s friends rush out of the church while Newt has a conversation with Uncle Rob.

 

Members of the choir in the church scene were the actual choir and members of the church. Several other church members and other Fort Scott residents were also extras in this scene.

 

The Gordon Parks Museum has artifacts on exhibit from the church to include: Two of the church's stain glass windows, an engraved with the letter “W” colored glass window plate, a large lighted cross, the church building corner stone, and two of the church pews and chair. We also have found other artifacts at the location such as watches, rings, toys some dated in the 1800’s.

Artifacts from the excavation of the Church Property

These items are on display at the
Gordon Parks Museum

More Images coming Soon

Decline and Demolation

The church that was the  size of approximately 75ft x 120ft, had been at this same location at 301 South Lowman for over 115 years.

 

However, the Church had a reduction in members throughout the years and was eventually condemned due to unsafe conditions, and was torn down. and was torn down in the early 2000’s. The largest congregation was believed to have been in 1888. The Fort Scott City Directory of that year indicates that the Church membership was 260 and the Sunday school membership was 100 individuals. The Shiloh Baptist was the second oldest.

Below are the last known photos before, during and after the Church being Razed, in December, 2001.

FOLLOW US ON

  • Facebook

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR E-NEWSLETTER!

2108 S. Horton St. 

Fort Scott, KS 66701 

©2021 by The Gordon Parks Museum. All Rights Reserved. Proudly created with Wix.com

bottom of page